Nepal may not be among the strongest and the most powerful nations but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t had occasional thinkers with words of wisdom. Here are 30 wise proverbs from the land of mountains and wise ones (what?):
- The lost fish is always big
- He who is thirsty needs to find the spring
- A devious friend is worse than an enemy
- Opportunities come but they do not linger
- When the Sun arrives, the Stars disappear
- Greed brings Gain, Gain brings Sorrow
- Even an ox will give birth — if you are lucky
- To be in a hurry when one can barely walk!
- You may eat what you want, but you wear for others
- When brothers brawl, the villagers exploit
- The tiger that eats you will not spare me
- You have to tolerate the kicks of the cow which gives you milk
- The buffalo is scared of the mendicant just as the mendicant is afraid of the buffalo
- When elephants fight, grass trample
- Ask for a goat to those who promise you an elephant
- When the cat leaves, the rats rule
- Too many cats kill no mice
- Don’t sacrifice your goat for an ill chicken
- Even a black crow lays white eggs
- Can a hog muddy the sea?
- The forest goes and so does the tiger
- Every spring has a different taste, every man a different idea
- Pulling a creeper can bring a landslide
- No one sits by an extinguished fire
- Children are the wealth of the poor
- Will impatience bear a son?
- A knot tied with joy is untied with tears
- While the holy men die of starvation, rogues live on milk and rice
- Even an unloaded gun fires when you’re having a bad day
- The enemy is never idle
Did you like these wise proverbs?
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER TO HAVE CONTENT DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.